CONVERSATION WITH THE MAKE-UP ARTIST IN OWERRI

 

CONVERSATION WITH THE MAKE-UP ARTIST IN OWERRI

By Chioma Ifeanyi-Eze

When I speak at events, most of the organizers send in a makeup artist. May God bless them o.

In Owerri few days ago, I had a conversation with the make-up artist while doing my face.

In my usual way, I would spend 10 minutes explaining my rules to the artist. 

No foundation or any thick coverage.
No lashes.
No shine-shine.
No contouring.
Just do my brows, shadows, rub powder and lipstick. Then leave.

Some of them would struggle to accept my wishes, but luckily, this one understood my personality and nicely accepted.

So we became friends and got chatting.

I asked her what she thought about the Buhari administration and how the country was going.

She explained that things were bad in Nigeria and she had a list of things that Buhari should have done which he didn't.

Then I asked her, How is make-up business going in Owerri?

She said it wasn't great. Many days of low or no income.

Then I said, "You see how you have a list of things that Buhari should be doing, and hasn't done? That how there are a list of things you should do for your business that you haven't done"

You are busy accusing Buhari of not doing your list.

While your own list is totally undone.

I continued, "Can you tell me a simple marketing activity you did today or even yesterday?"

She went silent and after a while, she said "none".

Then I said to her, see the list of what you should be doing that you are not doing

1. Are you running any ads on Facebook and Instagram asking women to pay for personalized makeup training so they learn to do their everyday and even Sunday make-up?
This can fetch you like 20k daily.

She said NO

2. Are you going to write a post or story about me? A customer who doesn't want heavy makeup and how you satisfied me?

She said NO

3. Are you going to save my number in your Whatsapp list and ask me to save yours after this session? Do you even have a Whatsapp customer list?

She said NO

4. Are you going to ask me to please check my phone and help refer one or two people to you in Owerri?

She said NO

5. Are you going to offer to sell me any make-up products, even if it is a beautiful mirror after doing my face?

She said NO

6. Are you going to update your whatsapp status today with a new lipstick that is waterproof so that 2 or 3 people can order and you make like 10k profit from it today?

She said NO

So what exactly are you going to do?

She said she would have snapped me and do a video of me, but her smart phone was bad and she is saving up to buy another.

Then i said, "But that's what all the other make-up artists are doing. So how are you standing out na?"

She went quiet.

After a while she said, "Aunty, can I take your number and be calling you for mentorship?"

I responded, "Go and do the ones I just told you. These simple strategies would fetch you consistent daily income and a life of 500k or more monthly revenues."

Stop waiting to find a mentor that will spend hours and hours talking and talking while you end up doing little or nothing.

Take the one you have learnt
Run with it
Make use of it
Let it bear fruit
Then keep learning more

She was deeply thankful for the time with me.

I hope this speaks to someone.

Remember, wakeup daily and ask yourself, "what marketing activity should I do today to push my business?"

For if you spend about 90% of your time doing marketing activities, you go blow.

I love you!

© Chioma Ifeanyi-Eze

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A COMPREHENSIVE REPORT ON THE WORLD DAY OF PASTORS' WIVES HELD AT THE NEW COVENANT BAPTIST CHURCH, BEHIND LIBERATION STADIUM, ELEKAHIA, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE, NIGERIA ON 13TH - 14TH NOVEMBER, 2023.

The Beauty of a Pastor's Wife